Monday, May 18, 2009

One Month and Counting!

This note may initially seem like it is all about me, but I have to write about my morning because it reminded me how we as a human race are fundamentally good. SO........................I had been wondering if I was still hormonal, or should I say "if my hormones were still settling in to normalcy." Lets just say what happened this morning confirmed this.


As I headed out on my ride I saw a runner or two running along Foothill. Within a few minutes I realized that this was " the relay" from Calistoga to Santa Cruz. I have seen this race/run many times over the years. For some reason I tend to go up highway 9 the same day they do the race nearly every year. At any rate, this is a grueling race on foot, up and down rollers and mountains. I have so much respect for the man who has the "leg" down the backside of highway 9. Can you imagine 6-10 miles of downhill running! In cycling the downhill is a blessing, but in running, from what I remember, is an absolute thigh/quad buster. Now, what does this have to do with my hormones? Well......I was brought to tears, mind you as I was getting an endorphine rush (these two things typically don't go hand in hand), when I saw a gentleman struggling to complete his 6 mile leg and his teammates were cheering him on. "Only .9 miles to go". This fellow barely had enough energy to drink water that his teammate was giving him. It was absolutely inspirational. I had the joy of cheering on over 50 + runners throughout my 2 hour ride. I felt it was one of the moments/events when God was telling me not to take anything for granted. On top of this I ran into an old friend on highway 9 and had the pleasure of riding with her for a couple of miles before I had to turn off and head home. I was especially glad that I didn't turn down my opportunity to ride today, having had time to really think about others and how people every day make sacrifices for others. The moral of the story is every small act can add up to one large act of kindness that can make a huge difference in someone's life!!


Now, back to Axel. Since I wrote last, Axel has officially completed his 1st month of life. This was very exciting. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to take photos of him on his 1 month birthday because we went to see the dermatologist. In the end I wish we would have skipped the dermatologist because it ended up being somewhat of a waste of time. However, the good thing is that I know what I am "supposed" to do to take care of Axel's dry skin. So we learned that he is not supposed to use any soap or lotion at all. He should use soapless cleansors and petroleum jelly for anything that needs to be moisturized. Funny that soap and lotion can be "bad" for someone's skin :)


Yesterday we went to go watch Keith race one of my favorite races, Cat's Hill. It was so much fun to see everyone. I just wish that we had more time to visit. We were there for 4 hours, but the day still seemed rushed because I spent over an hour trying to feed Axel during Keith's race so we missed out on visiting more of our friends. I am still learning that in a baby's world you have to eat, burp and poop when you need to eat, burp and poop....no questions or time lines allowed.


This afternoon I was able to take lots of photos of Axel because I really want to make sure I have a nice photo of him for every month of his life for his scrap book. I absolutely hate doing stuff like scrap booking, but it is amazing what those cute little eyes, cheeks and feet will make you do for them :) I really want Axel to have an idea of what his first years of life were like, since I know that I don't have many memories before the age of 6 or 7.

The big news for next week is Grandma and Grandpa Burgess (Dad and Sonia) are coming for a long weekend. We are very excited and can't wait to spend time with them. We are also going to make a day trip to Sacramento so Axel can meet his great grandparents (also on the Burgess side). This will be Axel's first "big" day trip with a 2+ hour ride each way. I would have never thought to attempt this alone, but with Dad and Sonia here to help I think that Axel will be able to make the 2 hour drive....or so I pray he will. I will be sure to post lots of pictures of next weeks' adventures, since it is going to be a busy one!

Until next time.......happy sleeping, for those of you who get to sleep :)















one of my new pj's I almost grew out of before wearing :)














That's going on over there?















Don't mess with me!



















I don't want to go to the Dermatologist!



















My new trick. I put my thumb inside my binkie....how smart am I?!














What? Is this not the pose you were going for mommy?














How about this one?














ok, this?














I give up...was this what you were looking for?














Tummy time!














Look at me.














Do I have to take a naked 1 month photo?















Sumo wrestler?mommy trying out the next diaper size!














see the difference in diaper size....no wonder why I can't put my legs together

No comments:

Post a Comment