Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Axel is 7 weeks!

I am excited to say that "project crib" is completed. Axel has been consistently sleeping in his crib until 5-6 a.m. every day. He is doing a great job of sleeping 4-5 hours and then after waking around 2-3 a.m., he is then able to sleep another 2-3 hours more before I have to bring him into our bed. I know I shouldn't but lying there for an extra hour even if I am half awake is soooo nice. Who wants to get up at 5 a.m. anyways?! I was just telling Keith this morning if I could only get uninterrupted sleep during the time Axel is sleeping I would be much better off. I am not sure why I am having so much trouble, but I am the one waking 4-6 times a night. I wake to use the restroom 1-3 times, then for Axel, and last for Keith's early morning snack! Oh, the blessings of being a light sleeper, argh!

Now, I am constantly being reminded that I am going to be getting a new baby every couple of weeks. This can be a good or a bad thing when it comes to the sleeping situation. I rather not be teased with a child that sleeps well initially and then has major issues as time progresses. The reason why I am rambling on about this is because I noticed gum changes on Sunday as Axel was yawning. I told Keith at the 4 week mark that Axel had started drooling. From the books I read babies start to drool more and more as the teething process progresses. Being a first time mom I had no idea how long the drooling can precede the teething. I was hoping it would be months, but I don't think we are going to be this lucky based on our experience last night and yet again this morning.

I thought I had figured out all of Axel's cries and complaints. We were in a great routine and loving life....until last night. Axel had just ate, burped, spit up and had his wet, poopy diaper changed. I was holding him, rocking him, shhhhh'ing him and he was still crying. I had tried putting him down, reading to him, playing with him, so finally I decided to pick him up and put my finger in his mouth to see if I could help what my motherly instincts were telling me. Unfortunately, I was right. Axel quieted down immediately as he gently chewed on my finger for the next 10 minutes. This calmed him down enough so that I could finally swaddled him and rock him to sleep. I think he was in enough discomfort he didn't want to eat. It was the first time in a couple of weeks that he refused to nurse before going to bed. Typically, nursing him is what helps him get ready for bed and to fall asleep. I was shocked and praying that he would be able to sleep his usual 4-5 hours. I felt incredibly lucky that he still managed to sleep until 2:30 a.m. considering the last time that he ate was around 8pm. Now I am really looking forward to his next Dr.'s appt. on the 29th. I just want some confirmation that she agrees he is teething. I tried to snap a photo of his gums. If you look closely you can see his teeth buds through the gums. He has 6 on top and two on the bottom. In this photo you can only see two on the left upper front and one on the right.

Another funny thing Axel just started in the past few days is winking. I know that he is not intentionally doing this, but it is the cutest thing. He can do it on both sides. He does it three or 4 times in a row when he is smiling and laughing. I have also come to the conclusion that despite the fact that I believe I am making Axel smile and laugh I still think it is spontaneous and without my stimulation. I would like to think his happiness is in response to me, but I know he still smiles right before he poops. This "reflex", I will call it, is quite funny. How come we stop smiling when we have bowel movements as older children and adults? Maybe we would be happier people if we learned to smile in response to our bodily functions :) (This photo is for GandG Sonia and Bruce. I just wanted to show off another onesie they purchased for Axel)

Physically, Axel is also making leaps and bounds of progress. He can almost lift his head to 90 degrees on his stomach. He has been bearing weight through his legs for 3 weeks now and he is able to stand for longer and longer periods of time (when being supported, of course). He is also using his hands more and more. He has a great time reaching for his jungle friends in his animal play gym. He continues to surprise himself when he actually makes contact with the giraffe and monkey that dangle above him. My favorite new ability of Axel's is his ability to track objects in front of him, i.e. me. For example, I put Axel in the center of our king size bed and dump our clean laundry around him. I then watch him watch me go from side to side folding our clothes and placing the folded clothes in "daddy" and "mommy" piles. I hate to admit it but he smiles and laughs much more when I say "daddy's shirt" or something of the sort. Maybe he is getting use to me always saying mommy...... and daddy sounds more exciting :)


Well, the little angel is sleeping soundly in his play gym. We are looking forward to Grandma Susan visiting again. She is arriving Thursday afternoon and is staying until Saturday afternoon. Keith and I are excited to get to ride together again. I even went out and bought a manual hand breast pump so that we can go for a 4+ hour ride. I can't wait to enjoy my coffee in the bathroom as I pump at our usual half way pit stop! I will be sure to take more photos of Axel with Grandma and post them next week. Hopefully Axel will have a new second cousin by next week! Good luck Kristi and Kris!!!!!

I wanted to show off Keith's new haircut in this picture. We went to a BBQ this past Friday and one of our friends actually said, "Hopefully Axel will get Keith's hair." If you don't know Keith has 3 colicks and very thick, wavy hair. It is a complete nightmare. At any rate, we were really excited that he actually received such a HUGE compliment!

I wanted to show how much Axel has grown. This outfit was huge on him when we took his first photos in it. I had a hard time pulling it above his shoulders because he is almost too long for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment