Monday, May 18, 2009

Axel is 6 weeks old!

We have had an exciting week since we wrote last. I had my postpartum check up on Wed. I was a little nervous since I didn't exactly listen to the Dr's orders by getting on my bike around the 2 week mark instead of waiting until 4-6 weeks to "heal." I was excited to know that I passed with flying colors and didn't "hurt" my stitches or anything. I was a little offended though, when she called Axel a cute, bald baby. He has hair, I thought to myself, just not a lot of it. Oh well, I guess I am going to be a defensive mother. I will have to start working on that :)Grandma and Grandpa Burgess arrived on Thursday and we have been non stop ever since.















Grandma and Grandpa Burgess

We were all pretty hungry when they arrived so the 4 of us went out to eat at my favorite Mexican place....Fiesta Del Mar! We were bummed that Keith couldn't join us, but Axel and I enjoyed our first dinner out on the town, however brief it was. We amazingly were gone for exactly 1 hour.That included the car ride there and back. Great food at lightening speed!

Friday our big trip was to the bike shop so that Grandpa and Grandma could check out touring bikes at my favorite bike shop, The Bicycle Outfitter. We all learned lots about comfort/touring bikes and Dad and Sonia now have a good idea of what they are looking for. Axel was a complete angel and slept the entire 3 hours. Actually it seemed like he slept most of the day, which made for a rough night, but we will talk more about that later. For dinner, Grandpa grilled up some yummy burgers and sweet potato fries and we all enjoyed a nice relaxing evening.
Saturday we headed out to Sacramento so Axel could meet great grandma and pa Burgess, and his second cousins Michaela, Dustin and their son Landon as well as his great Aunt Ginny.














Great Grandpa Burgess looking young and mighty handsome















Great Grandma Burgess striking her pose














Michaela and Landon with Mommy and me














Great Aunt Ginny the baby pro and grandma of twins :)

I was a bit nervous about the long trip, but Axel slept the entire drive to and from Sacramento without a single cry or complaint. He actually slept most of the day, so we all enjoyed a nice quite, relaxing day. I guess traveling and socializing tires us all out!

Sunday I rode out to Half Moon Bay to meet Keith, Axel and the grandparents at our favorite coffee shop/cafe. It was a beautiful day. We all enjoyed a delicious lunch and then went to the beach. It was a bit cold so we didn't stay long before heading back to the house. So I drove back with the parents and Axel while Keith hopped on his bike and headed for the hills.














Daddy and me in Half Moon Bay














Grandpa petting the iguana we saw in HMB. oops, did I forget to mention that earlier?!


Grandpa striking a pose at the beach

Along with Dad and Sonia visiting our big project this week I deemed, "Project Crib". It was my goal after doing more reading, to start working on Axel's sleeping and to start to getting him comfortable sleeping in his own crib. Phase 1 of Project Crib consisted of me re-swaddling him. One of my friends was given the advice to try and swaddle her daughter again despite her not liking it initially. This was great advice because Axel did so much better this time around and seems to like it and find comfort in it. So after 2 days of swaddling him in our bed I decided to go ahead and try out the crib. The first day he lasted 5 hours. he did a 3 hour and 2 hour stint and then fussed for an hour so I gave in and brought him into our bed. This happened again the second night as well. However, the third night was Friday night which did not go nearly as well. He didn't want to go to sleep and then he would wake every time I put him down so by midnight I decided forget the crib and have him sleep with us. Axel pretty much fussed the entire night, but we somehow made it through.

Luckily the past three days he seems to be in the same routine where he easily does the 3 hour and 2 hour stint back to back. It is the final 2-3 hour stint that starts between 4 and 5 am that is difficult. He has to poop so much that he fusses and fusses, but when I pick him up and bring him in the bed with us he settles down and is able to fall asleep. I am not sure why lying on me on his stomach is better for the poop situation than being swaddled on his back in his crib, but for now those couple of hours of extra sleep is worth him sleeping in our bed. I hope to report him making a full 7-8 hours in his crib by next week so please keep us in your prayers :)Here are a few other favorite pictures of the week.















tummy time at great grandma's house



Daddy being silly as usual

Mommy and I finally have a good picture together!

No comments:

Post a Comment