Thursday, October 15, 2009

Times are a-changing

The Szolusha's have wonderful news to report. Axel has turned a page in his growth and development. He has made huge gains in his physical abilities, his eating habits and his sleep habits.

Let's start with the motor skills. Axel is a rolling machine. I set him down on his back and before I know it he is on his belly and then on his back again. It is very nerve racking because we have hardwood floors. I will put him on an area rug, play mate or blanket and with one roll he is off the "safe zone". I then have to watch and try to place my hand on his head to insure a slow lowering. He is getting much better and 80% of the time he eases himself down, but every now and then he lets his head go quickly and "clunk" goes his head on the floor. Normally, he looks startled. As long as I smile and tell him good job he smiles and laughs, but occasionally when he is tired or I wasn't able to reassure him with a smile he will cry. He does the same thing in the kitchen and bathroom and will roll himself right up into the cabinet. He loves to roll right and will continue trying to roll right into the cabinet. Again, a "clunk" startles him, but then he laughs if I reassure him.

Axel is also starting to scoot a lot more. He is even showing signs of crawling as he brings his knees up while on his belly. He likes to practice these skills at night. We often find him perpendicular in his crib all the way to one side or with his head right up to the corner and his body projecting out diagonally. Keith really wants to capture this on photo. I will try to remember to bring the camera into the bedroom tonight.


Speaking of the bedroom and sleep, Axel miraculously changed his sleep patterns three nights ago. Monday night Axel went to bed at 6:30ish as usual. He woke at 10pm which he has done a few other times, as opposed to his usual 9pm waking. I heard Keith come to bed at 11pm and then fell back to sleep. It felt like a mere 30 minutes had gone by when Keith woke me and said, "Did I sleep through Axel waking up". "No," I said. It was 2:45am at this point. "He is sleeping way too long," Keith explained. "Is he alive? I think you should go check on him." "No way," I said. "I am not going to disturb this awesome stretch of sleep." Well, he woke about 10 minutes later to eat and then again at 5am. Now the shocking news was not Monday night, but was Tuesday and Wednesday night. Yes, Axel out did Monday night by sleeping until 11pm and then waking at 3am and then 6:40am. I hope I am not jinxing Axel's sleep for tonight, but we are very excited that the past three nights have been as good as they are. I think the difference is that Axel is starting to consume the solids we are feeding him and the fact that I think he is now 15 lbs.

Yep, you heard me Axel is eating!!!! Every morning Axel watches daddy make breakfast. They both have a blast.


The past three days he has hit 35 oz of liquids along with 2 small meals. He could be in a growth spurt, but the food consumption is a nice treat regardless. Axel has now had sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, avocado and bananas. I am sure you can all guess what his favorite food is and the magic food that we think is allowing him to "sleep through the night". If you guessed BANANAS you are right. He loved it so much after the first time I fed it to him, he continued to eat more right from the banana. I smashed a small amount between my fingers and he chowed down. It seems he almost prefers to eat it this way over mashed up with milk and rice cereal.

Today was the most beautiful fall day. It was 77 degrees with multi-colored leaves scattered over the road and grass. This is a drastic contrast to the tropical storm that hit California on Tuesday.

Keith stayed home with the Axe, to make sure the house didn't fall apart and that the dogs were okay. Axel and Keith had a ton of fun playing and winter proofing the house. Keith also had time to make persimmon cookies AND pumpkin pie.



The cookies were amazing and the pumpkin pie number three is just as delicious as the first two! Now don't be surprised if I look a little "fuller" the next time you see me :) I think all of the sweets are starting to add insulation to my frame. Keith thinks all of the junk causes me to loose weight. We will just have to see if the clothes start to become more snug. So far, so good :)

I leave you with a series of pictures Keith took of Axel dancing in his high chair.





Happy Parenting fellow Mommies and Daddies!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment