Friday, October 23, 2009

New Tricks

This week has flown by. It seems the weeks are starting to move faster and faster now that Axel and I are in a good routine with work and daycare. Hopefully, time will slow down. Keith and I are trying hard to cherish every moment, but it is hard when the moments flash before our eyes.
Axel came down with another cold this week. So much for being healthy this month. This was his second cold in October! I was a bit frustrated when I went to pick him up on Monday because he was in the house instead of outside with the other kids. I came to find out he was hanging out with the sick 1 year old. How did he get so lucky to hang out with the sick kid? Oh, because he happens to be the "other baby" and babies hang out with babies I guess!

On a more positive note the colds don't seem to be as disruptive to his sleep or schedule. He has been getting up twice a night rather than once a night, but Keith and I didn't expect the 8 hours of straight sleep to be the norm, just yet. Axel's naps are also becoming more regular again and longer. He has been able to sleep for a total of 1.5-2 hours at day care which is a huge improvement. At home Axel is sleeping 2-3 hours of total nap time. Yesterday was a stealer day with Axel taking an hour and forty minute nap in the morning, a 40 min nap in the Burley and another 45 min nap in the afternoon. Letting Axel fuss and cry a bit in the crib at the same times every day has really helped. Daycare was a bit opposed to this at first, but I think they are much happier with him sleeping more.

When I went to pick up Axel on Tuesday from daycare I was informed that Axel sat for 15 minutes straight in the morning playing. It was hard for me to believe that he went from a minute or two to 15 minutes, but I soon discovered yesterday that it wasn't a fluke. He is able to really sit now. The only bad thing is he will reach outside his limit and tumble over sideways. This is okay if he is in the pack n play, but not okay on a blanket on our hardwood floors. This morning he turned over too quickly for me to spot his head and boom went his head on the ground. He fake cried a little bit more out of being scared than in pain. This is the first time in years that I wish I had carpet. I think I mentioned last time that Axel no longer needs the Pacifier to put himself to sleep. At night he will shove his "lovey" in his mouth and when I am holding him before bed he sucks on his fingers. During the day you can often find him with his finger in his mouth. Here is a picture I took a couple of days ago.....like father, like son. Axel loves discovering how things work and can entertain himself for quite sometime if left alone on the floor. Below is a picture of Axel next to the kitchen cabinets. He will reach for the handles or the hinge of the door. This is often where Axel hangs out while I am cooking dinner. Yesterday, Axel rolled himself over to the swing and had fun pushing it while I prepared his dinner. Axel is becoming stronger and stronger as well as more aware of his surrounding. Earlier this morning I caught him reaching for his toy that has been hanging in his pack n play for weeks. Today was the first time he was actually able to reach it! Here is a video clip.

Time to get going. Check back soon. We hope to take lots of good pictures this weekend at Grandpa's 75th birthday party. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment