Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Happy Birthday Axel.......with Easter Fun!

Axel's birthday celebration started on Wednesday at day care. He asked me to make chocolate and vanilla cupcakes. On Tuesday I made the two dozen cupcakes and on Tuesday night Axel helped me put the frosting and decorations on.
 Phoenix and I arrived at 4pm in order to celebrate with him. He got a kick out of the trick candle that Angela included on his cupcake. It took him 5 times to keep the flame out, with each time followed by more and more laughter.
 On Thursday we decorated Easter eggs. Axel was incredibly excited and not very patient for the eggs to cool. I had no idea that it can take almost 4 hours for eggs to cool in the refrigerator after hard boiling them.
 Luckily, the eggs cooled and we had a blast making an Easter Egg family. The mom, dad, sister, brother and baby in the back. I got the idea when I couldn't help Axel fit the egg in the egg wrap. What almost was a huge fail, turned out to be a huge success. Instead of frustration that the egg didn't fit in the egg wrap, Axel thought it was cool that his eggs had hats on.
On Thursday afternoon I made Axel's cake because it has to cool for 4 hours before removing it from the cake pans. On Friday morning we decorated the cake. Axel requested Percy this year. Using Axel's Percy train as our guide we decorated the cake and had it mostly finished before the cleaners arrived at 10:30am. Axel really wanted me to make the face with frosting this year. Last year I used frosting to glue a printed face I found on the internet of Thomas. I think the cake was an improvement from last year, except the face. 
On Saturday morning the four of us went out to breakfast to get Axel's favorite breakfast entree, chocolate pancakes. He scarfed up all three without a moment's break. On the way home from breakfast we stopped by to pick up 4 balloons, one for each of the boys plus one for Sophia, Max's sister. Axel had asked me on Friday when all of the decorations and balloons were going to come out. It broke my heart to explain to him again that we weren't having a party and that breakfast, miniature golf and cake were his celebration. Daddy decided the 4 dollars to get 4 balloons wasn't that big of a deal and since we were right next door to Party City it was almost silly to not fill the request for balloons. 

In the afternoon Axel, Max, Rishaan and their dads went miniature golfing. The kids appeared to have a blast. Phoenix and I tried to play, but she required more attention and playing one handed wasn't very easy. We decided to take pictures instead, although most of them didn't turn out because the boys never really sat still long enough for me to get a good shot.
 After miniature golf the families came over for some cake. We sang Axel happy birthday and the kids played for a bit.
 Sunday morning I woke up early to hide the eggs we had colored and 58 plastic eggs filled with candy. I hid the real ones in the house and the plastic ones in the park. Axel had fun finding the real eggs, although one egg took over an hour to find :) We then ate breakfast and got ready to go outside for the big Easter egg hunt.
 I thought it would be a fun tradition to have the neighborhood kids find eggs together.
 They all did a great job of sharing and helping each other out.
 Surprisingly there were no tears. It was a big success.
 Here is a picture of the 4 kids. Sophia turned 2 on April 1st, then Axel, Max (who turns 5 in May) and Rishaan who turned 4 a couple of weeks ago.
 After the egg hunt, Grandma Susan, GG and Auntie arrived. We had fun visiting and eating some food together.
 We just wish we could see them more often. Thanks for making the long drive down!

It was an action packed week. We are tired and glad it is over. Now we are looking forward to Axel's 4 year check up on Thursday. We can't wait to see how much he has grown. We are also excited for Phoenix's weight check the same day. We are also gearing up for a Warrior's basketball game this Sunday. Auntie and Uncle are going with Daddy and Axel, while Phoenix and I get a restful night at home. Have a great rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment