Saturday, July 2, 2016

Our Little swimmers

Rubix continues to make strides in all aspects of his life. His personality continues to blossom. He is definitely appearing to be a gentle giant. He is a quiet happy baby when he is not in pain. He still has episodes of pain and crying, but they are becoming less of the norm and more of a rare occurrence. 

The biggest change since he has been on Neocate for almost 2 weeks is that he is finally pooping more often. We went 3 days apart, then 5 days a part, then 3 days and then the next day, which was yesterday!
We visited the GI specialist this past Wednesday. He weighed in at 14 lbs and 4.6 oz and 25 inches, which is right on track of the 50%ile. Although his calorie intact is 25% less than it should be for his size they are happy with his growth. We had to start Zantac because his acid reflux became worse on the Neocate, but now that he has been on it for just over a week he seems to be doing better again. In order to get him to consume 27 to 28 oz I slightly increased the concentration by mixing the Necoate with less water which helps him get the calories in. I am also thinking it helps thicken it up a bit more which will hopefully help with the reflux as well. He is still waking 2 times at night and taking 4 naps a day that are about an hour each. He is much easier to put to sleep and more often then not I can pop the binkie in once or twice and he will fall asleep. Maybe once or twice a day I will have to walk him for 5 minutes or so. Night time is still difficult because he doesn't eat much during the day so it can take over 2 hours to get him to bed because he cluster feeds. His body can't take in more than 3 oz during the day and he likes to get in 8 oz before his long 5 hour stretch at night, which means he will take in 3 oz at 5:30ish, 6:30ish and then a couple more around 7:30 or 8. I am hoping that will change over the next month to one big bottle.
On Tuesday night we celebrated my birthday with an ice cream cake. Axel tried lactaid ice cream for the first time and did well with no stomach issues, despite the corn syrup in it. I started Axel on Neocate Junior with prebiotics because he has been throwing up 2 to 3 times a week again. His calorie intake has been less than ideal for how much more active he has become. I told Keith I want to try the Neocate Junior for him for one year to see if there is a big difference in his growth and ability to handle foods. I figure with the extra calories, the prebiotic and the probiotics he is taking something good has to come out of it!

This picture wasn't the greatest, but I was happy to have all three kids up and in relatively good moods for the time being. Phoenix had a major melt down an hour before this picture, but somehow was able to pull through for the rest of the evening.
I haven't mentioned Louis in awhile. He continues to suffer from severe arthritis in his back. It is hard to figure out if his back causes his hips and legs to hurt or if they are a separate entity. I have become very laid back with where I allow Louis because I feel so bad for the fellow. He loves to go into the pinball room in the morning and lie right where the sun is beaming in. On this particular day he was in heaven because Phoenix left her couch right in the sun's path. So cute!
Axel had his first swim meet last weekend. He did 5 events and improved in his times all the while having a great time with his friends. Based on advice from other parents and after talking about needing a wagon for over a year I finally went and purchased the collapsible wagon and pop up shade half tent from Costco. Here the kids are taking it for a test ride around the house.
Instead of posting a video of Axel at his swim meet I decided to post a video of him during his private lessons. Phoenix and I surprised Axel by showing up at his swim meet for his last two events. We left Rubix at home with Annika. It was really hot out and close to Pheeny's nap time so we were in and out as soon as he was done with his last event. When Axel tries to go fast his form really breaks down so I wanted to show off how much his form has improved. This video below is during the last 5 minutes of his 30 minute lesson so it isn't as good as it can be because of the fatigue factor, but overall Keith and I are incredibly proud of how far he has come over the past couple of months. He has had 4 private lessons to work on his free style form and he has 3 more lessons to work on his backstroke.
Phoenix just finished 2 weeks of lessons and came extremely far in her ability. She cried and cried the first week. This past week, not only did she not cry she also was able to complete every skill except swimming for 5 strokes from the steps to the instructor. She can float front and back, kick front and back, climb out of the pool, jump into the pool and submerge her head under the water. I was really worried that she wasn't going to finish the two weeks, but she not only finished she is now signed up for 2 more weeks! Go Phoenix!

Other big news is that Rubix is now sitting in the high chair. It was a bit of an issue for Phoenix to give up the high chair, but it is really nice to have Rubix at eye level while we are eating or while I am in the kitchen rather than having him in the swing or on the floor.
It is hard to believe, but I only have 2 more week until I go back to work. We have Keith's birthday and a visit from Grandma Sonia and Grandpa Bruce so it should be a fun filled 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment