Thursday, May 19, 2016

Rubix is 2 months, Axel swims and Phoenix's new room

I realized that I wasn't taking very many pictures so I made an effort to take some of Rubix playing late last week. He is really starting to change now. He is becoming more aware of his surroundings and his wake cycles are becoming longer. He can track objects side to side and overhead. Apparently tracking overhead is an advanced skill according to the doctor. He is also having more control of his arms and is now regularly sucking on his fingers and reaching out and touching objects.

 He is starting to learn how to put himself to sleep for naps and bedtime, but we are a long way to go before he is completely independent. The good thing is we have started to learn this very important skill and I see hope for the near future :)
 Last Friday Phoenix went to Pump it Up for her friend Brooklyn's 3rd birthday. It was an impromptu party during an open jump. Finally a mom who is honest and smart with money. She didn't want to spend $400 on a party so instead she paid $60 for 5 girls to jump during an open jump. There were only 2 other kids there besides the 5 girls from daycare. They all had a terrific time and none of them knew that it wasn't an official party.
Phoenix loves to jump and climb. You can see how good of a climber she is in these two pictures. 
 Here is the birthday girl, her mom and Phoenix. Alana was kind enough to go down the slide with Phoenix since I had Rubix asleep in the carrier and couldn't go.
 Rubix turned 2 months on Sunday, May 15th. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to get any photos of him so just incase I snapped a picture of him sleeping.

 Luckily though, he had a good wake cycle after the nap above and I was able to capture another cute picture for his 2 month picture. His smile absolutely melts my heart!
 On Monday we went to Rubix's 2 month check up. Daddy took a vacation day and came with. We had plans to go for a bike "rehab" ride together after the appointment. Rubix was extremely tired since he was woken from his morning nap. The big guy measured 12 lbs, 3 oz, 23 and 3/4 inches and a head circumference just under 16 inches. His height and head are in the 80+ percentile and his weight was the 49th percentile. We have an ultrasound for Rubix's head next Tuesday because his head grew too big too fast. The doctor doesn't think anything is wrong, but is being very cautious because she is just one of those kinds of doctors. She thinks the huge jump is because he is growing rapidly in every direction. Keith and I think that he is fine, but I rather be safe than sorry, so I am more than happy to take him to the ultrasound appointment.

We finally got the results back from Rubix's genetic blood work. The good news is he does not have x-linked ichythiosis (we didn't think he had it, but wanted a definite confirmation.) The maybe bad news is that there was an incidental finding. Rubix has extra material of the 8th chromosome. Keith and I got our blood drawn so they can see if either of us carry extra chromosome 8. We have an appointment with the geneticist on June 2nd to go over our results and see what they think the prognosis is. We all think, hope and pray that it won't effect Rubix at all with development and that it really is nothing but an incidental finding.

Rubix had his first round of vaccinations. We had a really tough 12 hours afterwards. He had lots of pain and swelling in his leg and was very difficult to console and couldn't be put down for a nap. I totally forgot about vaccinations. Luckily, he was so sleepy from missing his morning nap that he slept for over an hour after getting home. Annika did have to hold him the entire time, but I am glad that the he didn't cry for her the entire time. It was really stressful for me to get him calm and I wouldn't want anyone else to have to deal with that.

 Axel continues to swim. He has swam with a pool buoy, all 4 strokes and the kick board. He can do a full 25 yard lap for all 4 strokes now. Tonight was the first time that he did the full 25 yards without stopping for the butterfly. Keith and I are so impressed with how much he is improving, exercising and seemingly enjoying himself.  Here he is with the pool buoy. I have never tried this. I can't imagine how hard it is to swim with only my arms and nothing else!

 Axel is still the same old funny guy that he has always been. Here is a cute video of Axel being Axel.

Axel had a game last night. It might be his last baseball game of the season as his season closer is this Saturday and there is 80% change of rain. It was 90 + degrees yesterday and we were all a bit uncomfortable. Annika came to the game to watch since it might rain on Saturday. Here is a picture of half naked Phoenix and Annika who were both overheated!

 Phoenix has really been struggling with her space and sleep. She hasn't gone to sleep easily now in over a week. We decided she needs her own room. Daddy and I surprised her last night with her very own room by decorating the guest room. She has been sleeping in here by choice over the past week so we thought we should just jump the gun and make it her own. She likes the idea of it, but when it came time for bed she still had a 30 minute tantrum. It was much better than the hour tantrum from the night before. Luckily, after both of these tantrums she slept through the night, unlike the multiple wakings she has been becoming accustomed to over the past month.

 She has been skipping naps a few times per week too, which makes night times even more difficult because she is overly tired. Luckily tonight she went to bed without a fight for the first time in over a month.
Axel is excited for us to reorganize his room. He is having his first sleep over on June 4th so we are all gearing up for this exciting event. With the school year coming to a close our schedules are action packed. I am hoping to really enjoy these last 8 weeks of my maternity leave. I am loving being home. I just wish I had more time in the day to get everything done!

No comments:

Post a Comment