Sunday, January 9, 2011

Getting back into our Routines


Nothing exciting happened this week. We did our best to get back into our daily routines. Axel cried every day when I dropped him off at school (daycare). The two week break was a bit long for him. Of course, he always loves it there after the initial shock of having to leave mommy or daddy.

The weather is really cold here. Keith and I have been freezing during our commutes to work. The highs have been in the 40's, although the forecast says the high should reach the 50's. Axel doesn't even seem to notice. He always manages to find some existing water to play with. His hands and feet almost feel like ice by the time we get into the house. They turn completely red. I really need to find some small mittens for him. Not that he will actually keep them on, but this way he will at minimum have the option to have warmer hands. :)

Axel ate a ton of food for 3 or 4 days, which was really exciting. He is back to his small appetite the past couple of days. Hopefully, he is going to hit a growth spurt in the next month or two so he can catch up to his peers. His classmate at school who is 6 weeks older than him has over 10 pounds and 3 inches on Axel. The kid's parents are giants compared to us, towering at 5'11 and 6'4" so that does make me feel a little better. :)


We didn't do too much this week. Axel and I went grocery shopping on both Thursday and Friday, as well as for a bike ride. The rest of the 4 day weekend was consumed with lots of play. He is really taking off with his imagination. He talks on his cell phone all of the time saying, "Hello" and "goodbye". He actually said that he was talking to Grandpa, when I asked who was on the phone. He loves his trucks more and more. We are trying to work on his pronunciation since it sounds like "frucks", but sometimes I can hardly hear the "r", so you can understand my growing concern. Another word that he says often that doesn't quite sound like the word is sit. For some reason an "h" is thrown in there.


As I say every week, Axel's vocabulary continues to take off. He now repeats almost everything we or someone else says. While I was cooking the other day I was completely surprised to hear him repeat Alphie, his computer friend. Alphie said "shapes", Axel said "shapes". It was really cool. Also Axel actually interacted with Alphie for the first time. One card had 4 animals and where they live on it. Axel did great. He easily pointed to the jungle for the monkey, the farm for the pig, etc. I had to keep showing him the flashing light next to the answer and low and behold he did one entirely himself without me showing him the bottom to push. I am so amazed at how quickly his mind is developing.

Night times have been better. He is no longer screaming for an hour +, but he has woke the past two nights for a cup of rice milk around 2am because he didn't eat dinner due to over excitement. We are still working on getting him to eat with company over. The football game didn't help, as Axel loves football and watching the guys "tackle" each other and he loves screaming "touchdown".

Axel is getting better at climbing. I found him on this file box playing with his bicycle.

Axel continues to want to watch the Grinch in the morning. The only difference about this week vs. last week is now he says "grinch" and "movie" (moomie). He has also graduated from his little chair to daddy's chair. I think he has the dazed look down pat.

That's all for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment