Tuesday, June 9, 2009

2 dogs + 2 kids = Fun Times


My best friend, Jen, from college came to visit with her almost 2 year son Colin this weekend. Let's say it was a little more exciting around the house than usual. It is funny because often when people come over they think a lot is going on because of the 2 monkeys and baby Axel, but we discovered that has no match to 2 children with our 2 pugs!

Before I get too much into the weekend I would like to back track to last Wed, bath day. Axel and I have a funny little story that we would like to share. Mommy is still kicking herself for not getting photos, but your imagination will just have to fill in the visual. So I was rambling on asking Axel what outfit we should choose for the day when a loud explosive sound came from his cute little butt. I was congratulating Axel with verbal applause about going poop, when I heard a big splash on the floor. It took me a couple of seconds to register the sound and to look down at the nice plate size of baby poop on the floor. Axel looked at me surprised and like he was about to cry when I started laughing hysterically. I felt so bad having heard Axel go number 2 a half hour previously and making him sit in it as I was setting up all of his bath equipment, I quickly cleaned everything up and told him how proud I was of him. Mommy also decided she really needs to learn how to fold diapers in the middle of the night so we won't have an out of the diaper explosions again. Lets just say almost every morning the diaper cover gets soiled with baby poop because of mommy's lack of folding skills at 2-3am.

Luckily I am proud to say that last night Axel made it all the way until 5:30am before needing his diaper changed. This is very exciting because all of "the books" tell you that you shouldn't have to change the diaper at night starting around 8 weeks and Axel is already 10 weeks. I have tried this off and on always failing with Axel fussing in bed for over an hour before I cave in and change his diaper. It was great to have him sleep quietly and drop the cute little noises he typically makes with a wet diaper!

Axel also appears to be changing his sleep patterns a little. I am not sure I really want to say this out loud because I am afraid of getting jinxed, but here goes. Axel appears to be sleeping in two, four hourish increments. This means I am getting up around 1:30 and 5:30am. I am still working on my ability to sleep and it does seem to be getting better. I am only getting up 3-4 times instead of 4-6 times per night. It is still hard because I hear Axel making noise, which wakes me, which then leads to me checking on him, and a bathroom break. Luckily, Keith is only waking me one time instead of two times so all in all I am feeling a bit more rested. It is funny because I decided to stop taking naps last week to see if that would help my ability to sleep and I have to say that all it did was absolutely exhaust me more. By the time Jen and Colin left I had to take an hour nap to function for the rest of the day. Luckily, Axel is in a growth spurt right now so all he is doing, it seems, is eating and sleeping himself.

Axel and I picked up Jen and Colin on Friday from SFO around 11am. We had quite the time watching ourselves figure out how to fit all of their belongings into my little car. We first had to install Colin's car seat and after packing the trunk with their giant suitcase we realized that we had to unpack the trunk to repack it with their stroller. To our surprise the big suitcase fit in the back seat next to Axel and Colin and after 20 min. we were finally ready to go.

After getting home we had a nice walk into town for bagel sandwiches. We then walked to Safeway to pick up meals for the weekend. Jen and I made chicken Parmesan with spinach spaghetti while Colin had fun playing with the doggy door and Axel slept. Dinner was quite tasty. I learned that if you grill the breaded chicken on the griddle first it turns out even better than just baking. Thanks Jen! Jen also taught me that you can marinate ribs in the oven, or precook them before throwing them on the grill. We ended up keeping the ribs in the oven the entire time and just cooking the sweet potato fries and asparagus on the grill, but it is good to know that you don't have to grill ribs for over an hour if you precook them first in the oven. I found all of this new found knowledge quite funny coming from the girl whose mom brought her gourmet cooked meals almost every week during college. I guess we all start cooking at sometime in our life.

On Saturday, the four of us drove to Half Moon Bay to eat lunch with Keith half way through his bike ride. We then enjoyed a nice walk along the ocean. It was Colin's first time seeing the ocean and he seemed to enjoy running along the path while Axel slept yet again!




Axel is making huge gains in strength and his ability to interact. It is so cool to see how quickly the mind and body changes. Axel can now hold his head up in his Bumbo chair and when he is in the infant carrier. I have also been facing him forward when he is in the carrier because he loves looking around at all of the beautiful trees and flowers in the neighborhood. He is starting to pick things up with his hands and he seems to analyze his toys and surroundings much more closely than before. You can see from the picture below that he was having fun looking and playing with his friend I named Snuffleupagus. Don't ask me why I named his stuffed animal this because he looks nothing like the real thing. I think I loved watching Axel's eyes light up when I say Snuffleupagus so I had to name something Snuffleupagus. See are you not smiling now after reading Snuffleupagus three times!



I am sorry about the lack of pictures. I have gotten out of the habit of taking pictures every day. I will make sure I am more deligent with the picture taking so you can see more of what I am writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment