Sunday, October 16, 2016

Rubix is 7 months old, Louis is 14 years old and Rubix gets hand foot mouth disease

What a week it has been! As I mentioned last week, Phoenix came down with a fever on Saturday. Well, on Monday she woke with a couple of dots on her toes. When we arrived at Day care we were informed that two children came down with hand foot mouth disease and then I realized that was exactly what Phoenix had. I convinced Angela to take the kids and to let me contact the doctor to see if she was still contagious. Unfortunately, the doctor said she was and we had to pull both kids out of daycare for the rest of the week. When I arrived at 11 am poor Phoenix was separated from the other kids. I felt bad for taking so long to get back to them, but it was difficult catching up on my work, seeing my patients who were already there and cancelling the rest of my schedule. 

It was nice that we were home for the week because Phoenix took some monster naps. On Tuesday she took a 4 hour nap and woke at 5pm.  It was just enough time to get Axel and to get to the pharmacy to pick up Axel's new medication for a rash/dermatitis that he has been dealing with for over a month.

Rubix finally came down with a mild fever on Wednesday. His rash appeared slowly over the next couple of days and he appears to be healing more quickly than Phoenix. Luckily, Daddy was able to take Wednesday off so I was able to go to work. Phoenix did not nap the rest of the week, but I was glad that she took long naps on Monday and Tuesday. 

On Friday we had dentist appointments. Phoenix was still a bit nervous. She let the dentist brush and floss her teeth, but I had to put the flouride on.
Axel charmed our dentist like always. His tooth is already coming forward filling the space of the tooth that he lost last week. It amazes me how the body makes accommodations like these!
Friday Axel was home from school because of a teacher development day. It happened to also be the first rain of the season. After playing in doors most of the morning, after our dentist appointment, the kids couldn't wait to get outside and play in the rain.
It wasn't enough rain to make puddles, but it was wet enough to make the surfaces very slippery with the layer of pollen underneath.
I love this picture of Axel and Phoenix. Axel was saying, "first" and Phoenix was saying "rain". I have a cute video but am too lazy to download it.
On Saturday Rubix turned 7 months old. He isn't crawling yet, but he does like to go on his hands and knees and rock back and forth. He is also starting the military crawl on his stomach. He doesn't get very far very quickly because he still reverts back to the super man position with his legs and hands in the air kicking back and forth like he is swimming. It is very cute, but he gets frustrated when he doesn't go anywhere.
I think he is the cutest thing. I love his innocent facial expressions. He is full of so much joy. It is such a blessing to have him in our lives. We have really been struggling with sleep for the past few weeks. His naps have been great since he has been home for a week, but his night wakings are still way to frequent for a 7 month old. After talking with the GI specialist we have taken him off of solids for a month. I will restart solids in 3 weeks and stick only with sweet potatoes for a minimum of  a week. If that goes well then I can consult the GI specialist to see if I can reintroduce squash and continue to follow the allergy diet. The Neocate cereal has rice starch in it. It seems very likely that Rubix is allergic to rice like Axel was. Besides Rubix becoming very constipated and not sleeping well at night he also broke out in a rash from Axel kissing him on the cheek after eating rice. Now that Rubix has been on only Neocate for almost a week his bowel movements are becoming more regular again and he seems to be less irritable. This has all been very difficult to assess because Rubix continues to work on cutting the two upper front teeth. The left upper appears to be ready to break through any moment. You can practically see the entire tooth just under the gums. From my experience he could still be weeks out! Patience is a virtue. The other complicating factor with sleep has been Rubix dealing with hand foot mouth disease. I go back and forth wirh letting him cry in the night to comforting him. I feel once I can rule out illness, teeth and tummy discomfort, I can then comfortably sleep train Rubix again. Or should I say, let him figure out how to sleep again, since he was the one that sleep trained himself.
On Thursday after school, Phoenix was ready to get out of the house and play. I decided to let her play on the play structure at Marshall Lane because most of the students were gone for the long weekend and any germs that Pheeny left should die by the time another child used the play structure. 
Both kids had a lot of fun getting their energy out before heading home at 5pm for dinner.
On Saturday we headed to the our local pumpkin patch that we tend to go to every year. You can see the nice rain clouds in the back round. It was actually kind of warm out with the sun beaming down on us during a break in the rain system. 
Axel friend, Alex met us at Queens Pumpkin Patch. The three kids went on a tractor ride together.

Parents got to go on for free so I joined the kiddos. My sweet Pheonix!
Daddy and Rubix watched from the picnic bench. My handsome husband and cute baby!

Because Rubix slept so much from being sick, my only chance to capture 7 month photos were at the pumpkin patch. He had a fun time exploring and playing with the hay.
He is just the cutest thing I have seen since my other two were babies! I love how he looks like an old man at the same time having the cutest baby cheeks.

We ended the pumpkin patch visit with our annual painting of pumpkins. After two hours of fun Rubix was ready for another nap and the kids were tired and hungry. They went for a bike ride while I put Rubix down for a nap and made dinner. Today has been busy with playing in the rain, sewing Axel's Halloween costume and Axel and Daddy hitting at the batting cages since the baseball game was rained out. We have 4 birthday party invites for next weekend. I am not sure if we are going to any. We will likely try to keep the weekend low key with Halloween, parent teacher conferences and a bunch of fun activities just around the corner!

Oh, I forgot to mention that Louis is 14 years old today! We took him out in the rain and Keith gave him a bath. I wanted to get a picture of the old man,but it was difficult with the rain coming down hard and me trying to make sure Rubix didn't get soaked. Daddy wants to make sure he gets some nice photos with Louis as we don't know how much longer he is going to be with us. It could be a couple more years, but you never know. Louis has out lived almost all of his off spring, so we will see! Hopefully I can get some pictures of them today or next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment