Sunday, June 10, 2012
Busy times
On Sunday last week we went to our friends Mike and Vanessa for a BBQ. Axel played in the "kiddy" pool for almost an hour while their 10 month old twins were napping. When they woke he was super excited to play with them. He was extremely good at helping them and understanding they were babies that don't understand about sharing. I was really proud of him because he doesn't always relate very well to younger children. Dillinger and Josie are both super cute and happy babies which made them fun to play with and be around.
Grandma Susan bought Axel new PJ's and gave them to us at GG's birthday. Axel absolutely loves his new Elmo and Car Pj's.
Nap time has been very interesting the past month or so. It is difficult to know when a child is ready to give up a nap. Axel has shown signs off and on that maybe he doesn't need as much sleep as other kids. Yet, at other times, it seems like he does need a lot of sleep. I think it is more difficult right now because it is light out until 9pm. To make a long story short, he misses about 2 naps a week and often when he does nap it is only for an hour or hour and a half. This Thursday, was another day he really didn't want to nap. I set him up with a couple of puzzles in his room so he could do them during his quiet time/nap time. Well at 2:45pm he came out of his room after his quiet time and laid down with me on the couch. I was reading, but had to get up to use the restroom. By the time a got back a minute or two later he was out cold. I tried to wake him after 45 minutes, but he refused to get up, he proceeded to turn on his side and snore away for another 45 minutes. It was very cute, but frustrating because I knew he was tired and needed to sleep.
Thursday morning we had new carpet installed in our only room that doesn't have hard wood floors. We went with the lowest profile carpet on the market. It is thinner than the previous loop carpet that we had and now we have a nice cap between our base boards and the new carpet, which means another fun project. You can see the new carpet is a little darker than the previous carpet, but almost looks the same.
On Friday I had my best girl friend from high school, Tiffany, over with her 18 month old daughter, Avery. She moved to San Francisco in September and this is only the second time I have seen her. We are hoping to make a point to get together every couple of months. I believe the next play date will be at the San Francisco Zoo. We had fun, but I didn't manage to take any pictures, because we were too busy talking and catching up:)
Saturday morning Axel went to the high school agricultural farm with the neighbors while I went on a short bike ride. He had a blast seeing the animals as usual. After he came home we jumped in the car and went to his friend's Alonso's birthday party. It was at a park and the kids were running around on the field, doing projects at a table and playing on the play structure. It was so spread out that I didn't manage to get any pictures, except one of Axel holding a frisbee. It is not a very good picture and almost not worth posting. Oh well!
Yesterday afternoon Axel played with Max, Annika and Marlena, while Keith worked hard at priming the garage. He took the time to properly do the taping and trim. He was finally done when I put Axel to bed so I came in and spent the next three hours priming the walls and together we did the ceiling. I was extremely proud of us for pushing through again and working until 10:40pm. It was a very long day. I am really excited to get the garage painted next week. Hopefully, we will get most of it done on Saturday so Keith doesn't have to do hard labor on father's day :)
Axel is growing by leaps and bounds. We have been running about a third of a mile every night while we walk Louis. Axel loves to get his "exercise" in and is becoming quite the fast runner. This week he also mastered riding his tricycle. He is now not only tall enough, but strong enough to push the pedals. Because his tricycles are hand me downs and somewhat falling apart, we decided it was time to go get Axel a "real" big boy bike. After trying out a few bikes and going to a couple of bike shops we found Axel's perfect 12 inch bike with training wheels on it. He hopped on and started riding like he was a pro. We are super excited for him. He rode about a third of a mile tonight, rather than running. Of course, I forgot to bring my phone and hence don't have pictures, but hope to have pictures for the next blog.
Axel continues to be a funny man. He makes jokes and changes words to be silly and funny. Here he is wearing daddy's shoes, saying, "Is this funny?"
Besides his new physical gains, Axel's vocabulary continues to grow. He almost knows the alphabet by himself. He still gets a few mixed up. His letter recognition is improving. I think he can pick out almost half of the alphabet and give a word that starts with each letter he recognizes. It is such a joy seeing him learn and grown and have fun doing it.
We have more fun planned for this week so check back soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment