Sunday, May 1, 2011

Easter, bike rides and more!


It is hard to believe three weeks has passed since my last post. I have thought each weekend I would have time to post, but the time never came. We have lots of fun excuses, like our computer dying on us.....getting an iphone so having to transfer photos from the iphone and the camera to the computer that doesn't get internet to the external hard drive to the lap top that we are now using that can get internet if hooked up to the ethernet cable (the wireless is broken on it :)) In addition to the computer fiasco our microwave sparked and smoked itself to death last week and part of the fence has officially fallen down. All of these things are in the process of getting fixed, but relying on other neighbors to pitch in the 50% cost and the home warranty company to make and appointment and to replace it takes more time than we have patience for.

Good thing is we have been having lots of fun. Axel has had the pleasure of going to bike races every weekend the past three weeks. He has been having soooo much fun! The first one was in Santa Cruz, the second in Menlo Park and yesterday in the Livermore area. He is so cute. He cheers "yahhhh", rings the cow bell, and yells "go Brianne" just like daddy. I remember the first time he said "hi Brianne" 2 weeks ago. I was trying to figure out how he knew my name. Apparently, he was absorbing it with all of the cheering at the bike races. Now when he cheers he no longer says mommy, but Brianne. He was so rev'd up after the bike race yesterday that he sang the whole way home and didn't nap all day. Instead we played in the sprinklers and washed the car for 2 hours.

Speaking of racing I just wanted to share how loved I felt yesterday as Keith and Axel were in the feedzone in my first road race in 3 years. 3 years ago I won this race and yesterday it took every ounce of mental, physical and emotional strength to fight to stay on. I was suffering/hurting the first lap. I thought I was going to get dropped the second lap. We had a breather with a slower third lap. The fourth lap the selection of top 6 riders rode away on the climb and I was left in a group of 4 that soon grew to 7. I tried with every ounce of energy to stay on, but finally "blew up" at about mile 60, which was 3 hours into the race, and exactly the length of my long ride each week. The last 6 miles were long and slow and the climb that I flew up last year to win the race I think I did twice a slow. I was so proud and honored to see Keith and Axel with their shirts off in the feedzone flashing me to victory....of finishing the hardest race I can remember. I do believe I would have given up in the second lap if they weren't there supporting me. Thanks! I love you both so much!!!!

Now lets back track to Easter. Axel had a wonderful Easter with lots of our friends to play with, church and 2 Easter egg hunts. We did an Easter egg hunt indoors

with the eggs that we colored

and a hunt out side with the plastic ones.

I filled the plastic ones with gummy bunnies and quarters and one special one with dark chocolate chips.

Unfortunately, mommy wasn't very smart and he got the chocolate chips first so every egg he opened he was a bit disappointed there was no chocolate in it.


He did like the money though. He couldn't wait to put it in his piggy bank. Mr. Piggy is almost full so Axel keeps asking when we are going to dump out the contents and count the money. Daddy told him he will get to go buy a toy and mommy told him he gets to keep it safe in the bank. Hopefully, he will get to do both :)

Axel's imagination is really blossomed over the past three weeks. A couple of weeks ago he wanted to put his sweat shirt on Louis. So we did. Louis was a good sport and Axel thought it was great. Apparently, Louis also wears 18 month clothing :)

Here Axel climbed into the laundry basket and then demanded "up mommy". So I carried him around the house and spun him in circles until we were both dizzy and laughing hysterically.

We have a little trail behind our house with a water retention stream that fills up each rain season and then dries out. Over the past few months Axel has become more and more intrigued with throwing rocks in it. We now have a daily ritual of going to throw rocks into the stream.

The biggest change I have noticed over the past month is Axel is much more confident and adventerous. I was so proud to see him figure out how to climb down this hill to get to his favorite rock area. In the past Axel would scream "mommy do it", but not anymore!

A few weeks ago Axel learned about static. We played for nearly an hour a couple days in a row inside his tent. I would let go of a piece of my hair and we would watch it "fly" to the side of the tent. Occasionally the hair would fall to the ground and we would have to find it.....or I would have to pull another hair off of my head :) Here Axel is concentrating on a single piece of hair.



Axel's speech has also really improved over the past few weeks. Keith rarely asks me what he is saying now because he articulates so well. Day care also is constantly telling me at how well and frequently Axel is talking. His sentences are also becoming longer. He regularly talks in 4 to 6 word sentences.

I could go on and on with all of the things that we have done and the changes that are taking place, but this post is already getting quite lengthy. Hopefully, I will find time to post again next week so I won't miss out on documenting these changes. Oh, I did want to mention that Axel surprised me today with his ability to recognize that his lovey, "bunny" wasn't the same. His first bunny was so dirty and in need of a few repairs that I got out the back up bunny. I have used the back up bunny before, but didn't notice the difference until Axel pointed them out today. First, he wanted to know what happened to bunny's hands. I told him I fixed bunny so now bunny has two hands (since a stitch had come out before and the hand blended with the arm). Also he kept tracing over bunny's mouth. Sure enough the original bunny has a straight mouth and the new bunny's mouth makes a "V" like he is smiling. Good thing is he decided to accept bunny's changes.
Ok, Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment