Monday, February 21, 2011

Anti-Social or Really Smart

We started off the week with a talk from daycare telling me that Axel is still not integrating very well with the other kids. "He is almost 2 now and he should be transitioning to playing with the other kids instead of independently", I was told. Apparently, during story time he is in another room reading his own books by himself. I was told that he does sing along when the other kids are singing, but he does it from another room. They have actually tried moving Axel to the other room by picking him up in the chair he is sitting in, but this only leads to him throwing a tantrum about how he wants his chair back at the table. So now they let him do his own thing and hope that he will grow out of this alone phase.

As the week went on, day care said that he was starting to play better with the other kids and is going outside more. Every time I go to pick him up he is either at the table with all of the kids doing the same activity as they are or he is outside playing by himself/watching the other kids play. It seems every week I am told the same thing....by Wednesday he is super social and Monday and Tuesday he is more of a loner.

This Wednesday I was told how smart Axel was. I guess he is one of the only kids who calls everyone by name. Most of the other kids call "Angela", "mommy" because Angela is too hard for them to say. Well Axel started calling Angela, Angela and now calls everyone else by their name as well. X Speaking of talking....Axel is talking up a storm. It seems as if he is always talking, which is definitely helping the tantrums. He still wants his way most of the time, but he is starting to learn screaming and crying about it isn't always the best way for him to actually get what he wants.

Last week I mentioned about no longer going into Axel's room at night. Well, it was a success. After just a few days he is back to sleeping between 10 and 12 hours straight at night. If he does wake I just let him cry himself back to sleep. this has really helped improve his eating during the day. He has become such a good eater the past week. I am hoping this will be the norm and not just do to a growth spurt. I feel like I have a normal kid now. He eats about 4-5 times per day about 200-250 calories at a time. Before he was only eating around 600 or 700 calories a day and then wanting milk once or twice a night. It is soooo nice to have a kid who sleeps AND eats.

Axel continues to love books. Here are some cute pictures of Axel reading.

Axel is really getting into pretend play. Here he is cooking.

Axel got a new book called 'Zoe's Hats', at the library. Here he is with his yellow hat on.

Well, I did not bring the camera to the grocery store, but I was able to get Axel to do a quick shoulder dance while we were reading the other night. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment