(Axel's new favorite toy....old dog collar and daddy's dog bitten sliders)
With the turning of another month came lots of changes for Axel. He seems so much more aware of his surroundings it is scary at times....literally. For example, the other night when I was feeding Axel he noticed the shadows we were reflecting onto the walls and stopped drinking his milk in order to see who or what was beside him. It took all my effort not to laugh.
Keith and I also tried to spice up Axel's room since his room and walls have been pretty barren up to this point. We finally reattached the blinds over one of his windows and put up three posters and his name on the wall. Axel received a set of nice wooden letters (A X E L) ,of course, for Christmas from his Aunt Josie and Uncle Ted. It feels good to have them off of the mantle in the living room and finally on his wall where it belongs.
We had a rough week of sleep. I am still not sure what the issue was, but it seems to be past us now. I wasn't sure if he was hitting a physical and mental developmental milestone or if he was sick. He was projectile vomiting a few times, typically in the evening after his bedtime bottle or his late night feeding. I was having to lie next to his crib for hours to get him to fall back to sleep because he didn't want to be held. He would squirm around in my arms. I am convinced now that we visited the allergist that it is Axel's milk allergy that was causing the stomach discomfort and projectile vomiting.
Here is a cute video of Axel moving around in a circle on his butt playing with his second favorite new toys (foam alphabet)
Axel's food intact drastically went down over the past two weeks as well, which I now correlate to an upset stomach. The great thing about Axel taking the allergy tests are that we know he is not allergic to anything else and his skin/eczema has greatly improved over the past four days since he has been on soy. The reason why we are just discovering this now is because Axel has only been on 100% formula for 5 weeks. We were using a milk based, lactose free formula, but it is the actual milk, or protein in the milk that he is allergic to. After looking at tons of different soy milks and comparing them to soy based formula I have decided to have Axel on soy milk since he is able to get all of the same nutrients with less sugar. It is exciting to think he is one step closer to becoming a toddler without the need of formula!
Auntie Shannon and Ryan were kind enough to come and help out with Axel today. They had a blast with Axel, while Keith and I were able to start going through all of our excess "stuff" and make a trip to Good Will.
Axel and Auntie shaking it up :)
It felt so good to actually get things accomplished. (Thanks again Shannon and Ryan you two are AWESOME.) With Keith and I being sick and run down for so long we were happy to feel well enough to actually do something. We have been struggling with the huge adjustment of not riding the bike, but rather just trying to stay afloat with our daily tasks and taking care of Axel. We hope to find a happy median were we can still ride some and still have time to spend as a family. The realization that our days of competitively racing may be behind us has been hard. I am sure we will get out and do a few races for fun, but nothing where we have to train hours and hours for. Don't get me wrong, we are definitely excited for the future and all of the fun adventures we have in store with Axel, we are just trying to change our mind set to being "recreational" cyclist :)
Axel and I will be visiting the dermatologist again this week to see if we can't help his very itchy skin. Although it has improved drastically since we stopped milk based products he is still always itching his skin and I still think it effects his sleep at times so hopefully we will have a better solution by the end of the week :)
Have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment