Friday, January 15, 2010

Axel's first fall

Well, I had hoped for something exciting to happen in order to have a topic to post on. Unfortunately, the excitement wasn't exactly what I had in mind. On Sunday Axel was a bit fussy in the morning and when he is, he wants me to be around him and play with him all of the time. I was getting tired of squatting behind him as he was cruising along our bench so I decided to stand behind him and write in his memory book. Low and behold he turned left lunging for the TV stand and I didn't have time to catch him. He hit his head on the side of our wooden TV stand. I felt soooo awful. It took all my courage not to cry. I iced his head for about 3-4 minutes. That is about all he would let me and then I gave him some Tylenol after rechecking all of the signs to look for after your infant or toddler hits his head. We went for a walk in his infant carrier which I haven't used for a few months. He seemed like his normal self so then I let him take his morning nap. He arouse his happy playful self. Everyone tells me that I need to get use to it, especially because we have a boy, but I don't know if I am ever going to get use to Axel hurting himself. You can see the bruise on the side of his head if you look closely.


Axel is still scooting on his belly and loving the assisted walking and cruising along furniture and walls. The funny thing that he started doing this week is stopping and plopping on his butt when he wants to get something on the floor or wants to change direction. From what I have heard most kids don't know how to get from standing to sitting, but like his mom and dad Axel does everything backwards. He still doesn't quite get how to pull himself up to standing. He is super strong in his legs and he gets his legs straight under him with his butt in the air, but he forgets to use his upper body to finish the job. I suppose that is my fault since I am typically their helping or assisting him :)


Axel also started "biting the couch" like our Pug Louis. I wish I had my camera handy yesterday but by the time I found where it was it had no charge so I missed a ton of cute pictures and one of those was Axel biting the blanket on the couch next to Louis doing the same thing.

I also missed Axel's first experience with macaroni and cheese. I made the Organics for the first time and it was good. We ate it together, but I am not sure Axel cared for the cheese. The funny part about the experience is Axel didn't want to feed himself with his hands, he didn't want to eat with his spoon, but the only way he would eat any is with my fork. So I would take a bite and then he would take a bite. With every bite he would make a face as the fork went into his mouth, but he refused to take it any other way. Boy, did I wish our camera was charged for that one....next time!

I forgot to mention last week that Axel seemed to be completely healthy and doing quite well. He had been in a great routine day and night only waking once at night. Well, since an entire week or so went by with him being healthy, guess what?! That's right folks...he picked up another cold at daycare this week. Awful runny nose, cough and horrible couple of nights with frequent wakings. The unfortunate thing about this cold is I caught it, hence the delay in posting this weeks update. Luckily day care is closed tomorrow so Axel and I will have one more day to recover! Here is a picture I took on Thursday of him using the snack tray in his exersaucer for the first time. How cool to snack and play at the same time, despite the runny nose!

Oh, I had to include this picture. Last Sunday about an hour before bed Axel peed all over his clothes while I was changing his diaper. I didn't want to dirty any "cute outfits" so I put on these green pants and pooh onesie that he hadn't worn in some time. I think he looked hilarious, almost 80ish.

Last, but not least Axel has become quite the investigator. Here he is playing with the "dog towels" while I was preparing dinner. I thought it was hilarious how much fun he had taking them out of the cupboard. As you can see from this picture he is pretty good at responding to his name now. I would say he turns to look at us about 90% of the time.

Ok, that's all for now!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bri,

    I'm glad Axel is ok after his first fall. As a father of a little boy myself, let me tell you that you will get used to it. I don't think a week has gone by since Landon started walking that he didn't have some kind of a boo boo on his face.

    Hope all is well! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete