We had the privilege of having Gramma Susan in town to help out with the chaos, but she ended up leaving early upon my recommendation so that she could catch up on sleep before her week began. Gramma called on Monday of last week to thank me because she didn't realize how tired she was. She still ended up getting sick, but she was glad that she came. I actually didn't get any photos of her and Axel because we were dealing with a very fussy little guy the entire weekend. Keith and I had to take two car rides in the middle of the night to calm him. Axel also had to sleep in his car seat twice in the middle of our bed as well as with me on my pillow for three nights. The car seat helped him breath better and I think sharing my pillow with me also helped him breath as well as give him some peace that he was going to be okay. Here is a picture of him in our bed on my pillow. Keith wanted to tell you all that we bought him a big boy bed already, but I am not that funny :)
It is so hard seeing the little guy sick and unable to help himself. He absolutely hates the suction and I believe he thinks it is the most evil thing there is. Keith and I did discover Saline drops which did help decrease the congestion and aided in the suctioning of lots of slimy snot. Keith even tried sucking out the snot with his mouth over Axel's nose. He got the idea from a coworker at work. It worked equally as well as the suction, although we were given the impression that it is much more effective.
Besides Gramma Susan's visit last weekend Auntie Shannon and Uncle Ryan surprised us today with a nice visit. We all went to lunch together and then they played with Axel while I got some much needed cleaning done. Lets just say with me and Axel being sick for over a week the house is not in its usual state of cleanliness.
On top of Axel and I being sick we were "blessed" with another terribly heat wave. For two days it hit 100 degrees which means the inside of casa de Szolusha was over 90 degrees. Here is a picture of daddy and Axel trying to be happy despite the heat.
Today has been remarkably cooler and Axel and I are almost better. I am hoping that we will both be 100% in a couple of days. Although, if Axel continues to be sick I think I am going to take him to see the doctor. I noticed today that he pulled on his ear a couple of times. I have been told that is a sign of an ear infection, although he isn't running a temperature. He hasn't pulled on his ears since, so hopefully his stuffy/runny nose will go completely away and the pulling o fhis ears was incidental.
Keith has been doing well throughout this whole process. He has managed to not get sick despite sleeping only 2-6 hours of broken sleep on a regular basis. On top of not getting sick and sleeping he has still managed to race last Saturday and today and do well!!! He is truly amazing.
This past Friday I went to Babies R Us and bought Axel's next car seat as well as a fun new entertainment center. The entertainment center doubles as a walker. He might end up getting dizzy when he gets older because this walker is stationary and has the child walk around in a circle.
I bought the next car seat expecting that Axel will be 26" at his next Dr.'s appt on Oct. 2nd, which means that he will have out grown his infant car seat due to being too tall. I am also hoping that he will tip the scales with weight because he has been eating very well. I completely gave up all dairy and stopped the Zantac and he is consistently eating 33-36oz of mommy's milk every day. He still likes to snack, but he is able to eat 5 or 6 oz a couple of times per day in one sitting. He does this typically at day care or once in the morning and once at night if he is home with me all day. Typically though, he still likes to eat only 4 oz at a time and then 1 or 2 more oz about 30-60 minutes later.
Yesterday Keith and I went to the city for one of his MIT friends birthday. Here is Axel playing with his new friend Claudia. Last year at this time Claudia's mom and I were both preggo at Eileen's birthday get together and this year our children are playing together.....crazy isn't it!
Axel is still having trouble sleeping, but Keith and I are positive that once the weather stays cool and he completely heals from his cold that he will learn how to sleep well again. Last night he only got up 5 times and ate 4 of those times over the course of 12 hours. My goal is to get him to consistently be able to only get up 3 times a night and then slowly ween him to 2 times and then 1 time per night over the next couple of months.
I forgot to mention that when Gramma Susan visited Axel finally had his first meal of rice cereal. We prepared a tablespoon full and we estimated that he might have consumed half of it. I have continued to try to feed him .5-1 tablespoon every night, but it seems to me that he spits most of it out. I am hoping that he will get use to the texture and start consuming it within the next few weeks.
Sorry for jumping around so much. I was tyring to be concise, yet still remember all of the highlights of the past 10 days. Hopefully I will stay on track and be able to post later in the week. I changed my work schedule so now I will only be working three days a week instead of 4 which I think will be better on all of us.
Good night and have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment