Monday, August 10, 2009

1 Year Anniversary: Sweet or Sour?

Keith and I had a lovely day planned for our 1 year anniversary. We were going to wake up and enjoy a lovely breakfast with the little one and then go for a nice ride while a friend watched Axel and then go out for a lovely dinner at our favorite restaurant, The Pastaria, in Los Gatos. Well, lets just say that the day did not quite go as planned and the bottle of wine was left unopened.

The sour part of our Anniversary was two fold. One, Keith was still quite sick and stuck on the couch for most of the day. He was feeling better than Thursday and Friday, but still not great. He didn't even think about riding his bike, which is HIGHLY unusual. Two days off of the bike in a month is amazing let alone two days in a row! The second sour part of the weekend was our not so happy little one. I do believe his unhappiness was strictly mommy induced, but with my return to work only a week away I was desperate.

I decided it was time to let Axel self soothe. Axel has been a good nap taker since I have been trying to get him on a regular nap schedule. I would say it has almost been a month that he has been napping in his crib 3 times per day. He typically goes to bed fairly easily as well. The thing that I thought needed to change is the night wakings. Since he had the spell of loose stools and low grade fever he has been getting up 5-10 times per night. We put Axel to bed at 6:45pm on Saturday night because he was already rubbing his eyes. He easily went to sleep with being swaddled and the Binkie, but then woke at 7:30pm. We decided to feed him 3 oz and put him back to bed. He then slept until 10:30pm and woke up wanting to feed again. I then somehow managed to let him cry until nearly midnight. I then fed him again. He then woke up at 2 to eat. I put his Binkie back in and then he woke at 3am for a feeding. At 4am he woke again and then at 5am where I gave in and fed him again and finally at 6:15am when he woke I brought him into bed with Keith and I and tried to get him to go back to sleep with absolutely no luck. Lets just say that he was absolutely exhausted yesterday, Sunday, and napped surprising well. He took 3 naps, 2 one hour naps and one 2 hour nap. I then put him to bed at 5pm. He fell asleep but then woke at 5:30pm. We then let him cry until 7pm. I tried to nurse him, but he didn't want to. He did end up taking 3 oz out of a bottle that was in the fridge. After calming him down and feeding/burping him I then sat next to his crib so that he could see me. He was sleeping by 8pm without another peep. He did wake just before 11pm for a feeding and then at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 5 and 7. I fed him at 1:30 and 5 and put his Binkie in at 2:30 and 3:30.

So my question to all of you mom's out there. Do you think that something is bothering him at night? Do you think he is in pain? He easily goes down for all of his naps without crying. I swaddle him, put his Binkie and the mobile on and then walk away. He falls asleep after about 10 minutes without me doing anything else. Why is it so different at night? I know that the frequent night wakings are because he is so over tired and that is why I am putting him down for a nap every time I see him rubbing his eyes or yawning. I know the night wakings will get better once he catches up on sleep, but why do you think he cries so much at night? I decided tonight I am going to put him to bed at 5-5:30pm again and sit there until he falls asleep. I am hoping this will eliminate the crying because I don't think the crying it out will work for him. I think he would seriously cry FOREVER!!! A true crying champ.

Since I rarely post pictures of the "fussy" Axel I thought I should finally show you the not so happy little one. Here he is crying after daddy was trying to be funny. Note to fathers.......you are not funny when the baby is tired!!! Here are two more pictures of a tired, upset stomach from GERD, before and after shots. Can you see all of the spit up? This can happen all day long with or without the fussiness and with or without Zantac. Ok, onto the sweet part of the Anniversary. Keith and I got to spend so much time together over the past 3 days. We hardly get to spend an entire day together, let alone 3 days in a row!!! It was really nice. We also enjoyed a hardy breakfast of eggs and potatoes. Yep, I love potatoes in my eggs!!! Keith thinks I eat too much starch, but that is what fuels my 20 hour days :) For dinner we enjoyed yummy fish and chips and our anniversary cake. Keith and I demolished it in just 2 days! We are not typically cake eaters, but we are both turning into one. Keith and I prefer ice cream much more than most other sweets. We think Axel is going to as well. Here is a video clip of Axel enjoying mommy's ice cream almost more than mommy!!!

Here are a couple more pictures of the little guy trying to consume what mommy and daddy are eating and drinking. The weekend ended on another sad note. I received a phone call while I was on my bike Sunday evening (trying to clear my head from my crying child) that a coworker of mine pasted away. Rosalie was a wonderful women. She had just retired a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with cancer shortly after. Everyone thought she was doing quite well and we are all shocked that God decided to take her so soon. Rosalie brought inspiration to many of us "young" ones. She taught us how to live each day to the fullest. She also had an amazing talent of putting a smile on everyones face she came into contact with. She will be truly missed. I leave you with a picture that sums up how Axel and I feel right now and we wish that the warm hand of God comforts all of those who are mourning the loss of Rosalie.

No comments:

Post a Comment