Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Chicago, Senior Pictures and the start of school


Well my visit to Illinois was lovely. The weather was overcast and raining most of the time, which meant there was a lot of time to visit! After a long day of travel on Wednesday I was able to get up and enjoy a nice run out to the lake at the end of Lies Road. Since I left almost 30 years ago, many trails, both paved and dirt have been made. I was able to run out to this lake, which was surrounded by beautiful marsh. All of the green was a nice change from the brown of California. 


I was surprised to see Hydrangeas everywhere, even in the front of my dad's house.  

We basically talked all of Thursday, but Friday we went to visit the Cantigny Estate. We were able to visit the house and 2 of the three war displays at their museum. 
The grounds were very well maintained and absolutely beautiful. 
Here is a picture of part of the house. 

One of the many rooms inside the mansion. 
Another view of the grounds. 
Dad sitting in the "garden" chair. 
A praying mantis on the leaf! Zoom in to see this amazing creature. 
A replica of the liberty bell!
While I was enjoying my time with my dad and Sonia, Keith was managing the kids and their activities. Phoenix made sure to keep up with her strengthening routine. I printed out an entire program for her that had upper body, lower body, core and plyometric workouts. 

Here she is doing plyos with Keith.

Another day they went and did upper body together. 
Rubix has also kept up with his upper body strengthening doing the monkey bars, dead hangs and pull ups. He is determined to get stronger for swimming!
They also continued with Phoenix's running routine of every other day. She has been running 1-3 miles, 3x per week. 
On Friday night I had the privilege of having dinner with my college roommate and bestie, Jen!



On Saturday we went to Spring Valley to visit with Sonia's family. We were able to see Gina and Dan, Cory, Anne and their kiddos (Gia (8), Sienna and Gram (5), as well as Mia (who is not pictured). Connie and Jerry were also there of course! It was such a nice afternoon with them. I was so grateful everyone took time out of their day to visit with me. 

Two of my favorite people on earth, Connie and Jerry Eick. The best grandparents I could have ever asked for. They are both so precious, loving, good people. Connie had a great day and appeared to be her usual self. I could hardly tell of her recent diagnosis of dementia/ Alzheimer's. She remembered a friend who visited last week and much more than I anticipated. 
On Sunday morning I ran outside, but this time the other direction and was able to see the Carol Stream fountain and....
this sign that displays my alma mater, 'Panthers' sports accolades. 
And for memory lane I walked along the neighborhood streets visiting the houses of my high school friends and took a picture of my dad and Sonia's house. 
After my quick run, Kristine picked me up to take me to Chicago to meet up with our high school crew!
We had brunch with Reshma, Lisa, Carissa and Payal! 
Carissa, Lisa, Reshma, Kristine, me, and Payal! 
It was such a wonderful visit. I love my friends. They are all such wonderful good people, so real and transparent. I love how they say things like they are without fear or need to hide what is going on. It is so very different from the breed of humans who live in California. I will be forever grateful for the people God has brought in my life throughout the years. 

I was scheduled to fly out on Sunday night at 8 pm, but I didn't actually leave until 11:15pm. It was a beautiful departure of Chicago, but I was very grateful to be home and in bed by 3 am and for my lovely husband to come and pick me up so I didn't have to take an Uber at that time of night; if they even have them then!

The kids started back to swim on Monday August 17th. They swim from 6:30-8:30pm every day. The sun has been setting earlier and earlier and the sky has been a beautiful array of colors. 



Axel had his senior photos. They finally came, but were disappointing to say the least. I took a picture of all of the poses and then happily shipped it back. We plan on capturing better photos and will get a nice one for the wall in the near future. You can tell me what you think of the quality....I don't think they are worth $250!











Axel had his senior retreat on Wednesday August 19th. He said it was a blast. On Friday, the 21st he had matriculation/ orientation. He looked handsome as always!
He had his first day of school on Monday the 24th, but he was up and out the door by 5:30am to make the Senior Sunrise, a tradition that Harker has been doing for years. Here he is driving away on Friday to matriculation. He is so very independent!
Here is one of Phoenix's recent paintings since I returned from Chicagoland. 
We went to Bedwell, Bayshore park this weekend for her to practice the cross country course. Keith took her and the boys to Crystal Springs the weekend I was gone. She is feeling stronger and doing better this year with her transition to running. 

She wanted me to take a picture of the salt beds. They are beautiful with the mountains as the backdrop. 
The two of us from the top of the hill! Keith and Rubix were running separately.
On Sunday we had a preseason cross country gathering. There was a pretty good turn out. We had about 10 kids from the team over for food and games. 

Phoenix also invited her bestie Mili over. 
Game time!
Mili and Phoenix organized Phoenix's "duckies" onto the new shelf she created! 
On Monday, Phoenix started school! We were running a bit late, so no time for our traditional photo in front of the house!
Rubix started school today, Wednesday August 26th. I had a late start to take him to school and get photos like I have done every year for the past 12 years, but I was in bed with another migraine! Keith was a champ and managed to walk him in and take a couple of photos for me. 
This is the last year we get to walk a child into school for their first day. It is bitter sweet that we will be done with elementary school and off to middle school and high school next year for the younger two. Time continues to fly by and I continue to have the need to slow down, rest and enjoy the ride. These three kiddos are the best thing that ever happened to me. I feel incredibly blessed for the family that God gave Keith and I. We are excited for what this year has to offer. Axel is 2 months out from being done with his first round of college applications and just 3 months out from being completely done. We are hopeful that the kids can continue to grow into the people that God has planned for them. Keith and I are doing are best to support them along the way. 
Tomorrow after work I get to go to Angel's camp to spend time with my mom and sister for a girls weekend. I am grateful for this yearly tradition. After this weekend, we will be in the full swing of school, swim and cross country. 

I hope to write after Axel's and the younger two's first meets in a few weeks. Until then....God Bless you and your families!









 

No comments:

Post a Comment