I forgot to post that I was able to go with Rubix on a field trip on March 6th to The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum. We had such a fun time learning about Egyptian History. I even filled out the 6 page handout with them. The kids loved having me read the information and help them find the answers :)
On Sunday Christine came over to make a pie with Axel for "pi day" (3.14159265).
I think they did a great job.
I told Axel that Little Grammy would be proud! One of my favorite memories is when Carol came out to visit Keith and they made a pie from scratch and worked on the beautiful pie crust together. It looked very similar to this. Here Axel did this on his own, to help a friend!
I am always asking Axel to send photos of himself or with his friends. He sent me this. Apparently, his track friends took a picture of him stretching while waiting for the light to turn green. He was walking to his car to go to practice.
On Friday, March 13th, Keith and I found rides home for both Phoenix and Rubix, from swim practice and we headed to Kings Academy where Axel planned on running the 3200 meter race at their Friday night distance fiesta! As you can see it was a beautiful night with an amazing sun set. Here is Axel before his warm up. He was the last individual event with the 4 x 800 relay ending the night.
I guess Kings Academy has some stuffed coyotes to scare off other animals. Samara, Sophie, Emily, Axel and Ava (taking the photo) did a cooldown together and just had to take a photo with them!
Axel talking with Ambrose, a senior at Kings Academy who is has run with several times during cross country and last year during track.
Getting ready.....
Axel after his 2 mile effort. Happy and tired. He did a lot of work throughout the race leading most of it. He was happy with his PR of 10:08, although he was secretly hoping for sub 10 minutes. It was still a great first 2 miler of the season. A personal best with the win and a t-shirt to show it!
Dad and Axel!!!Proud parents!
You can watch Axel's full race below. On a side note, the night ended up being exceptionally long as Axel's car got towed. It was quite the learning experience for all three of us and hope that this is a one time thing and nothing he has to experience in the future.
T-shirts for the heat winners. Axel earning his from the 3200 meter race and the girls earning it from the 4 x 800 girls relay race. Go Harker!
On Saturday, March 14th we through together a last minute birthday party for Rubix. Rubix had already committed going to his friend, Oliver's bday party on Sunday, March 15th, his actual birthday. When we realized that there was not going to be a free weekend for 6 or more weeks, we spontaneously reached out to a few friends to see if they were available. To our luck, they were all available!We were in a 2 week heat wave, so Rubix decided to have a water balloon/water gun fight/play time in the park. I ordered water guns and reusable water balloons for the boys and they had more than an hour of fun. They were completely soaked!
We brought buckets over for them to do quick refills. Lets just say, we had to several refills of the large buckets too!
Noah, Tatsu, Jax, Laksh, and Emin joined Rubix for the afternoon. The boys only stopped for a short bit to eat dinner and then wanted to go back outside for wall ball.
After 40 minutes of wall ball I convinced them to go inside for birthday cake and ice cream.
To my surprise, the boys got along extremely well. There was no arguing or fighting about rules or getting out. It was a breath of fresh air to see them getting along so well.
Axel was a trooper and helped Rubix decorate the birthday cake that morning while Phoenix and I were at swim practice.
The chocolate vegan cake was a hit and once the cake and ice cream were consumed the boys wanted to go back outside for basketball.
Again, they played really well together for another 30+ minutes until parents started to arrive at 7:30pm.
We were so happy that Rubix was able to share the afternoon with some of his friends having a great time playing. It was nice to see other boys who wanted to play, play, play too!
On Sunday I woke up early to make Rubix's requested breakfast of a cheese omelet. I stepped out for just a minute and when I came back it was almost finished. I was able to get a picture before it completely disappeared!
Rubix went to a birthday party and then to the pool to work on some things before Age Group Champs that were coming up the following weekend. Phoenix and I painted her room! She asked for a gift card to home depot from little Grammy. I need to take photos of the room, but we still have to do some touch ups and put her pictures back up on her wall. Gma Susan is coming this weekend while Keith and Axel head off to the East Coast to do some fun house projects.
For Rubix's birthday dinner he asked for taco salad. A rare picture of the three kiddos!
Have you noticed a trend here with these pictures? Yes, Rubix picked up and ate his omelet with his hands and I was shocked to see him do the same thing with his salad. I am not one of those parents who cares too much about "proper" manners, just as long as they are trying to be respectful. He felt this was the best way for him to consume it without it falling apart. I trust his judgement :)
Dinner and cake and ice cream gone! My baby is 10!!!! Hard to believe they are all double digits and I have 2 teenagers in the house!
The following week was a short week with Age Group Champs starting on Friday at 7 am in the morning. Keith took Rubix and Phoenix to Pleasanton to set up the tent and check into the hotel. I had the privilege of staying home and waking up early to exercise. I was out running by 6:30 am. I had to stop to snap a photo of the beautiful sunrise. I was able to get a quick 30 minutes in before heading to Pleasanton myself. Axel had a late start that day, so I said goodbye the night before.
Rubix with Coach Victory on Friday morning ready to head over to warm ups!
On their way.....I managed to arrive by 8:30 am. I spent some time parking and walking in more than half a mile. With just under 1000 swimmers the surrounding neighborhood was packed with cars!
Keith officiated prelims all 3 days and I officiated during finals. On Friday, Phoenix swam the 200 free and 100 back in prelims and made finals for both events. She also swam the 1000 free during finals, since the fastest heat has the option to go during finals. She had an incredible race dropping another 17 seconds to 10:47. She is just 6.5 seconds off of sectionals! We were so proud of her effort. I am curious to see how she will do at Far Westerns in a couple of weeks!
You can see how tired she is with this big yawn! She managed to PR in the 200 free dropping down to 200.69, which is the exact AAA, but just shy of the Far Western cut which is a 200.19.
Rubix also swam the 200 free and 100 back, as well as the 100 IM on Friday. He had a great day as well. His 200 free was a minute drop of .2 seconds, but he finished 2nd.
His 100 IM was a 3.5 second drop and put him at 10th in the country. He achieved a AAAA time with a 106.77. Crazy thing was he finished 3rd, which shows just how competitive Pacific Swimming is!
The most memorable highlights for Rubix are breaking the Santa Clara Swim Club Record for the 200 Free and 200 Medley relay for the 10 and under boys. He was the anchor in the 200 Free and the 3rd leg, fly, in the medley relay. They are just a half a second off the Pac Record, so I think the boys are excited about trying again at Far Westerns in a couple of weeks.
10 and Under Boys 200 Free Relay
Ethan, Aury, Rubix and Albert from the Medley Relay!
Ethan, Lucas, Rubix and Albert from the 200 Free Relay posted on SCSC social media!
All 5 of the boys who participated on the winning relays!
While we were in Pleasanton, Axel drove to Dublin with his new friends from Kings Academy, Ambrose and his teammate Matthew. Axel had such an amazing day. He loved having "teammates" to warm up with and cool down with. Ambrose was in his heat, but Matthew was in a couple of heats after them because he was a few seconds faster, although, Axel and Matthew both went a 4:36 at the Dublin Distance Fiesta.
My patient, Karen, who has been giving our family persimmons since the pandemic was there watching her granddaughter and texted me to make sure she knew which heat Axel was in. this is the picture she got of him during the final sprint. Axel beat this kid by .1 seconds out sprinting him to the line! You can watch the race below, as Sophie's mom was kind enough to film it for Keith and I, although we were able to see it in real time via live streaming. We could not have been more lucky, or should I say, God was so good to answer prayer. Rubix swam the 500 and finished just in time for Axel's start of his race. When Axel was done racing, Phoenix went over to race the 500 free. We always have to lap count and time for the distance events, which means both of us need to be available. We were incredibly happy to see Axel have the best race of his life in real time!
The other big news for Phoenix was she got to be on the 4 x 100 relay on Sunday. On top of that she was the lead, which meant her time counted. She did a personal best of 56.34, which means she is now faster than 3 of her other teammates and will get to do the relay at Far Westerns too! Here she is with Catherine, Cielo, Rosalyn and Phoenix!
Phoenix was so happy that her "crew" or swim lane was all at Age Groups. Here the girls are being silly with Cielo, Nina, Leor and Phoenix doing a group hug!
Rubix with
Aury and Ethan having fun after prelims! The best part of swim meets are friends, of course!
You can watch the video below. He finished in 2:13, which is good for his first 800 of the season, but was bummed he didn't go out faster.
On the relay, Axel started out the race and ran the fastest 400 I have ever seen him do in a speedy 58 seconds! His teammates, who all regularly do 400s were closer to 50 seconds, but I was beside myself seeing my little Axel sprint! I was beaming with pride to see him run with such speed!
The kids were asked to say the entire meet, which is different from previous years. They had lots of time to do homework and have fun between their events. The girls made a pyramid!
Team cheer at the end of the meet with Liam, the anchor to the 4 x 400 having a tough time recovering from his race. Axel had so much fun being a part of the relay and having Harker feel like a team. I was so glad to be there to support him.
We made it through the week and now we are all on Spring Break. Grandma Susan is here for a visit while Daddy and Axel flew out to Boston today. Check back in roughly 2-3 weeks where I will give the update of Axel's trip to Boston, Grandma's visit, Axel's 17th birthday and Far Westerns!
Oh, I forgot to mention that Rubix is 59.5 inches! I plan on weighing him at the club on Friday. Until next time.......

















































No comments:
Post a Comment