Friday, November 10, 2017

Quick Update

Last Saturday night we enjoyed a lovely Spanish dinner to celebrate Luis's birthday. This was the first time we were able to get together with Eileen and Luis since they went to pick up their new daughter. Lily, is going to be 2 years old next week. She is doing amazing for just changing cultures and coming into a new family. She is sweet and independent. I unfortunately, did not manage to capture her on film, but Rubix had a lot of fun trying to keep up with her. She loves to play catch and with balls and cars like Rubix so they were instant "friends".
 On Mondays and Tuesdays, Phoenix has to wear her school uniform. Here she is on Monday. She loves to wear it and she looks like such a big girl. I am still adjusting to just having Rubix alone on Thursdays and Fridays. I miss not seeing Phoenix as much, but boy is she loving school. This morning she didn't want to wait to go at 8:45 am, when I usually drop her on Thursdays and Fridays. She wanted to go earlier like she does the first three days of the week when I am working. I did not manage to get her there at 7:20 am, but she did arrive a little earlier at 8:30 am. I am so glad she is enjoying her new school. Because she is one of the first students to arrive Monday through Wednesday she is getting extra help from one of the teachers to catch her up to the other students in her class who already recognize all of the alphabet and know all of the sounds. The head school master, Mrs. Terri believes she is doing well and will get caught up shortly. She said don't worry, she will be reading soon. I actually wasn't worried, but I am glad to see the school is dedicated to learning. Phoenix has been enjoying her history and science which is all about the history of Thanksgiving and the food associated with Thanksgiving. She now knows what foods go into what food groups, i.e. dairy, grains, etc.
 Rubix is a hoot. He requires so much work when the other kids aren't around. He wants to play, play, play, which is great, when I don't have to clean, do laundry or make meals. He is really into shoes. He is constantly going into the coat closet and putting on my shoes. Here he is with my bunny slippers. He was so proud of himself because he got them on without any help.
 Today he was exceptionally brave and determined at the park which lead to a couple of good growth experiences. Here he is swinging at the top of the slide. He discovered he was able to climb up and down the slide which lead him to tumbling forward and descending the slide face first on his stomach. I warned him, but he was defiant and had to learn the hard way. I am glad that he didn't get hurt, but that he did get scared. He also was goofing off on the play structure and missed a step and fell onto all fours which gave him a good scare. Again, I was happy he didn't really hurt himself, but again was glad that he was scared. I really need him to learn his limitations because I am afraid he is going to really hurt himself.
 Axel is loving Cub scouts. Here is a picture that Keith captured at his last Pack meeting. We are really glad that he decided to stay in the same Pack with his old classmates. They seem to be very well organized this year and are working through the book learning lots of fun things like how to start fires (3 different ways) and tying knots, etc.
Here is a cute short video of Rubix playing basketball. We typically rotate between basketball, baseball and soccer throughout the day with a little time spent playing with cars or building with Legos. 
Next weekend is a big weekend. We have 2 birthday parties on Saturday (Axel's friend, and Pheeny's friend) and we are having our annual Pre- Thanksgiving gathering that night as well. This weekend we have a couple of play dates and then the farmer's market and Church, which should be nice and relaxing in preparation to the start of the busy holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment