Friday, May 11, 2012
Deer Hollow Farm and Bike to (not) Work Day
With the nice weather time seems to be ticking a little faster around here. Since our last post we have gone to a couple of bike races to watch daddy race. At our first bike race of the year, here is Axel lounging on my lap eating a cookie with his favorite new shirt that Grandma Susan found. It is really cool. It changes color in the sun and then goes back to black and white in the shade or indoors. It was really hot in Livermore so we laid low while we watched daddy race.
We also watched daddy race this past weekend at our local Los Gatos race, Cat's Hill. Unfortunately, I did not get any photos of the day. Keith wasn't feeling great anyways because of his allergies. After his race we went to a nice BBQ at our friend Kerry's house. Axel had a great time playing with new friends he met and Keith and I enjoyed good food, conversation and company.
The day before Cat's Hill Criterium, last Friday, Axel and I went to Deer Hollow Farm with one of his daycare buddies, Mason. The farm is an old little farm in Rancho San Antonia Park. I had no idea it was there. It was a mile walk on the trails to get there from the parking lot. It was a little long for Axel as Mason was trying to walk with his mother and I and Axel was getting a nice free ride. Axel really wanted to turn around because it was taking us "so long" to get there, but luckily his tempermant changed when we finally arrived.
Apparently it was birthing season. We were able to see 7 new baby goats that were 1-2 months old and 5 lambs that were also just around a month old. Axel was even able to pet one of the mommy goats and was very excited to see how the mommy and daddy interacted with the babies.
We saw a 90 year old tractor that was from 1920. It was one of the high lights for me.
Axel and Mason's favorite aspect of the day, was not any of the animals that they saw, but the "really big, cool tree trunk that was cut in half." Here is Axel enjoying himself inside the tree trunk.
Axel actually did a run/walk the mile hike bike to the car. I was really proud of him for being such a big boy and walking on his own. He often likes to be carried or pushed, so doing a mile continuous was a big deal.
Yesterday, Thursday, was Bike to Work day in the South Bay. Different companies put up booths that are called energizer stations and give out free food and gadgets. Our group of friends along with hundreds, if not thousands of other cyclist, tried to gather as much free things as possible on their way to work. Here is Keith, myself, Axel and Denny at the Kaiser station. We had to get a picture there since I work there.
Axel and I headed home after going to 4 stations while Keith and Denny met up with a few others and stopped by several more. The coolest item was free anti-virus software, but the most unique and original was a portable potty called Brief Relief that instantly gels your urine and is safe to dispose of in the garbage. We are all still laughing about it today.
Axel and I stopped by a new park on the way home. He had fun swinging Mr. Piggy and Mr. Bear in the kiddy swings.
Axel has been a little defiant lately so this week was all about making sure he knows exactly what his boundaries are. He spent a lot of time in his room thinking about his mouth and his actions. Luckily, with a little bit of tough love Axel is now eating by himself, going to the bathroom by himself and remembering to say please and thank you, rather than crying and yelling. Keith and I were thinking back and it is hard to figure out how situations manifest and grow, but Axel got to the point where he wouldn't eat unless he was on my lap and I was feeding him. He would also not go to the bathroom without someone going with him, when he goes alone at daycare. We are really proud that we nipped it in the butt and he is back on track. Having a sweet, boy who cooperates is much nicer. Now, if I can just get him to stop calling everything poopy butt life would be even better :)
On a more positive note, Axel still loves trains. Here is our latest creation of his tracks. I kind of get proud when we think of some new inventive way to put his tracks together. I don't think Axel really cares, but Keith and I always complement each other's designs. Besides, Grandpa Bruce designed one of the coolest tracks and I couldn't let him out do my creativity :)
Last I leave you with another funny Axel moment. Here we are headed out for a walk. You will notice Axel only has one lens in his glasses. He didn't care. He wore them the entire walk without a complaint.
We hope everyone enjoys the beautiful weekend and wish all Moms out there a special Mother's Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment